QuantumScape recently announced their breakthrough in developing a solid state battery cell. This new cell can charge to 80% within 15 minutes – while also packing an energy density significantly higher than the best lithium ion batteries on the market.
Why does this matter?
- This would be significant for EVs entering into the market should these initial lab tests prove to be true when third party certification agencies begin to evaluate it
- Safety during fast charging would be a significant breakthrough enabling many to get around the issue of range anxiety
- Over the next few years we are likely to see significant progress towards validating this new cell structure with the solid electrode that QuantumScape is pushing
- For most people watching the battery space, these kind of breakthrough claims tend to never turn into a commercial product, but the video demonstration of results – which seem to be beyond basic lab results show promise that this could be the next significant jump in cell chemistry and energy density
- Besides the stock likely to jump as these results continue to be verified we expect to see many more public displays of this tech
- QuantumScape’s partnership with VW will likely result in expedited manufacturing of these new cells
- New EV models by VW will likely contain QuantumScape prototype cells in the coming years as they begin to truly field test the real world performance of the cells
- Challenges with cell expansion, cold temperature charging will likely show its impact as QuantumScape’s engineers begin to assemble field models
Breakthroughs are always claimed by companies in the energy hardware space – however rarely are there companies that actually have made substantial progress towards move current technology forward. QuantumScape’s history of research out of Stanford, to pivoting to new chemistries and rockstar team of researchers gives us confidence QuantumScape is the real deal.
Should they be successful in commercializing these cells it would open up pandoras box in the EV world, allowing all existing car manufacturers to level the playing field in the range & performance category with the likes of Tesla – who have the head start today.
About The Author
Swarnav S Pujari
Founder of The Impact
Swarnav has over 10 years of experience in the energy & climate tech space, holds 2 patents and is active in the tech, climate and media industries. He specializes in Product/Product Innovation as well as Go-To-Market and Growth Strategy.
By training he’s a Materials Engineer with a background in research from his time at Georgia Tech and University of Illinois (UIUC).
He founded TouchLight a utility backed energy company focused on developing IP for utilities and startups pushing electrification forward. He also serves as the appointed Chairman for the Town of Yorktown’s Climate Smart Communities Task Force, where he helps with drafting legislation and enabling sustainability efforts within the town.
Concurrently, Swarnav founded The Impact to help investors, emerging founders and driven climate enthusiasts discover and identify new climate-tech startups, technologies and opportunities before they hit the traditional media sources.